Monday, April 5, 2010

frugal

I prefer to be called frugal rather than cheap. It sounds much more creative, really. And I'm proud of being frugal. My husband works hard for our money - I work hard to spend it wisely. We don't have regular cell phones - they're crazy expensive in my opinion. (My siblings love teasing me about this!) We have the cheapest cable package you can get - we only get the top 10 network channels - for the low price of $18/month, including tax. And we don't spend money on many "extras", including lots of clothes and shoes. Last week I finally bought myself a new pair of black shoes (on sale, mind you!). When I sat down to think about it, I realized they were to replace a pair I bought and wore for at least two years while I was still working. Seven years ago. Yep - I'm frugal.

Case in point - we go through a lot of lotion in this house. And it drives me nuts that when the pump stops pumping there is still a TON of lotion in there. So every few months I gather all the bottles and go at them with a sharp knife. Then I carefully spoon all the remaining lotion into one of the empty bottles - and voila! - new lotion. Tonight I filled one and a half bottles. I just saved my family almost $15. Ahhh - now that feels good.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my mother - the greatest frugalista I know - for passing on to me her vast knowledge on this subject.

No comments: