Monday, May 10, 2010

christian heroes


For the past few months the kids and I have been reading aloud from a wonderful series called Christian Heroes: Then and Now . Each one is a biography of amazing people who lived lives of sacrifice for the will of God. So far, we have learned about Gladys Aylward, Hudson Taylor, C.S. Lewis, Amy Carmichael and our present selection - Lillian Trasher.

Lillian was an American woman who started the first orphanage in Egypt. In our chapter today it mentioned that an article had been written about her in Reader's Digest back in 1939 called "Nile Mother". I decided to go online and see if I could find it, which I did. I also found a 35 minute documentary that had been filmed about her life and the orphanage which was available to view right online. So cool! The kids got to see the actual orphanage we've been reading about and hear from Lillian Trasher herself.

Wow - homeschooling in this day and age is amazing. I love it.

...and thank you Thompsons for loaning us all these books! We're so thankful!

No comments: