Thursday, January 15, 2009

busted!

A couple weeks ago the kids and I did a project where we tried to figure out which of our breakfast cereals is the healthiest. So I taught them to read the labels and we compared our five usual choices (Cheerios, Rice Chex, Corn Chex, Wheaties, and Rice Krispies) based on their sugar, sodium and fiber content. (Cheerios won, by the way!) At lunch today, I noticed Audrey looking at my Sprite can. I don't drink soda often - and she's never had it - so she was quite interested. She suddenly exclaims - "Oh my goodness Mom, your drink has 38 grams of sugar in it!" Which led to a 10 minute discussion b/w Audrey and Liam about whether or not moms should have that much sugar. Not usually, I told them, this was just a special once-in-awhile mom treat.

Why on earth did I teach them to read food labels???

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I prefer to not teach my son anything and just brainwash him into thinking that everything I say is right! Then the whole pop thing is a non-issue! HAHA!